Our curriculum is designed to help us realise our school vision:
Our vision is to be an outstanding school that continually strives to provide the best start for our children through the pursuit of excellence.
Where everyone is immersed in the curriculum and are able to flourish in the process. Everyone is valued as a unique individual and where everyone feels safe. We will aim to be the best we can possibly be.
The curriculum also follows our mission to be a school that:
Fosters a sense of belonging by providing opportunities for participation by every child.
Provides high quality teaching and learning through a broad, balanced curriculum that is both stimulating and challenging.
Helps everyone to succeed and do their best.
This can be summarised in our slogan: Belonging, Learning, Succeeding
The curriculum also reflects our ethos, our values and aims:
Broadmead is a caring, safe and nurturing school. We promote inclusion, we are proud to belong, and we value each individual. We look after each other, believe in second chances and aim to be the best we can be. We promote high achievement and a love of learning for all children in our school by:
- Creating a safe, happy and welcoming learning environment that is calm, caring, motivating, nurturing and supportive for everyone in the community.
- Ensuring that children have a sense of pride in themselves and their achievements.
- Encouraging and instilling a sense of confidence, leading to an ability to think and act independently
- Being a school where success is striven for and celebrated. Where there are high expectations and an element of challenge for all
- Promoting respect and equal opportunities for all
- Creating a sense of unity within the school and the wider community
- Ensuring that children develop key skills so that they are able to work towards achieving their full potential in all areas of learning
- Preparing children for the future by providing opportunities, responsibilities and experiences which can be built upon
- Educating and encouraging the whole school community to develop a healthy lifestyle
- Being a place where there is a genuine team spirit and positive morale.
For us at Broadmead, the curriculum is the totality of student experiences and, through those experiences, we aim to enable all of our learners to be happy, successful and to be the best they can be.
We are committed to a deep and rich curriculum that enables students:
• to achieve high standards
• to be ready for the next stage in their education
• to be independent, curious learners
- to be resilient
- to have a positive attitude to lifelong learning
• to be ready to take on challenges with an open, positive and caring approach
We believe that the curriculum of the school:
• should be designed to enable our children to enjoy, flourish and achieve,
• must be coherent and well planned.
At Broadmead, we implement the development of our knowledge and skills in a very exciting way with our CREATIVE CURRICULUM. It is at the heart of all our Teaching and Learning.
Each exciting topic inspires us to LEARN, and most importantly... to Enjoy learning!
This is a style of curriculum that does not advocate specific subjects, timetabled for different times of the day. Instead, where possible subjects are taught through one major topic. This approach will still cover all National Curriculum objectives which are mapped out in our curriculum progression overviews.
Science and Computing are mainly taught as a discreet subjects where necessary.
Our R.E. curriculum follows the Bedfordshire Agreed Syllabus for Religious Education.
For our children the impact of our curriculum will be;
- That our children flourish in every curriculum area and achieve high standards.
- That we will have encouraged a lifelong interest and commitment to learning.
- That our children will be able to think for themselves, to be resilient and to face challenges with strategies to overcome them.
- That they have become the best they can possibly be, and that they have succeeded!